Sunday, April 15, 2018

Sweater Weather

Image result for famous guerilla art‘Guerilla knitting’ flash mob hit bull and bear at Frankfurt stock exchange

The world works in such mysterious ways! This week in class we discussed guerrilla art, and the next day on my ACT there was an article on, you guessed it, guerrilla art! As I was scrolling through google images looking for a photo that interested me, I was stopped by (photo to the left) a tree covered in vivid assortments of yarn. Suddenly a little light bulb appeared above my head as I put two and two together. In summary, through the fate of the universe, I will talking about Germany's fabulous guerrilla knitters. 
One might ask, what is guerrilla knitting? According to the website "Young Germany", this form of art "refers to knit or crocheted works of art placed in public area[s]". Similar to graffiti, works of guerrilla knitting happen publicly, often anonymously and without permission. Over the years this practice has acquired different names such as, yarn bombing, yarn storming, knit graffiti, and knit hacking. 
The photo shown on the right - the yarn bombing of Frankfurt's famous bull and bear statue - displays the handy work of the Munich Guerrilla Knitting Group. Rather than being appalled, Germany has taking a great liking to this sort of 'graffiti'. As the website "Young Germany" puts it, "a yarn bomb can bring a pleasant dash of color and whimsy" to urban scenes. In fact, Ute Lennartz-Lembeck founder of the guerrilla knitting group, has nixed anonymity by installing her art publicly during the day. She is best known for the picture shown on the left, a tree in Velbert covered in a multicolored knit sweater. 



3 comments:

  1. Great blog Olivia! I didn’t know that guerrilla art could be something of a physical nature like yarn. I also loved the subject about the groups of guerrilla art, as I thought this type of art was usually done by solo artists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simone!! Love this post! lol I also thought about what a coincidence it was that guerilla art was mentioned in the standardized test! I love how you made an extension to the types of guerilla art we discussed in class. Awesome work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the topic you choose to write about! I bet you did well on that section of the ACT since you already knew a little background information on it. Good job on the blog!

    ReplyDelete